Jailbreaking is a process of unlocking the true potential of your Firestick device. It sounds complicated but is one of the easiest processes for Firestick devices. One of the main reasons people jailbreak their Firestick devices is to stream a variety of content.
Jailbreaking allows Firestick users to sideload apps that are not available on the Amazon store. In this article, I’ll tell you all about jailbreaking, how to jailbreak your Firestick, whether it is worth it and answer more questions. I’ll also tell you about some decent apps you can use with a jailbroken Firestick.
What Is Jailbreaking, and Is It Illegal?
Jailbreaking might sound complicated and fishy, but it is a legal and easy process. It only removes default restrictions from Firestick devices. You have to modify some settings and remove restrictions to jailbreak it. I’ll give you more details about it in another section.
How to Jailbreak Firestick to Unlock Its True Potential?
To jailbreak a Firestick, this is the first thing you should do. You should download an app that allows you to sideload third-party apps to your Firestick device. These apps are not available on the official Amazon store, and you need to follow this process to install and use them on your device. I prefer the Downloader app to sideload third-party apps. Here are all the steps you need to follow to download this app and modify settings to jailbreak your device.
- First, you have to visit the home screen of your Firestick device and click on the search button,
- From there, type Downloader, and install this app on your device,
- Now it is time to modify the settings,
- Open the settings of your Firestick device to modify settings related to the Downloader app first,
- After opening settings, click on the My Fire TV option and go to the developer options. Click here if you can not find developer options in the settings menu,
- Under the developer options, turn on the apps from unknown sources option,
- Now, you can modify three additional settings, the first one being ADG Debugging which you can turn on from the developer options,
- Now, as you will use third-party apps, you might want to turn off these two options to avoid sending data to Amazon. You can find both these options under Privacy Settings. Turn off Device Usage Data and Collect App Usage Data options to secure your online activities.
You can skip additional steps, but the rest are necessary. After all these steps, you only need to paste the URL of the third-party app in the Downloader app.
Why Do You Jailbreak a Firestick?
Sideloading third-party and unverified apps to your Firestick devices is one of the primary reasons to jailbreak a Firestick. As previously mentioned, there are risks in using these apps and add-ons, but these are popular.
You should follow dedicated guides, forums, or discussions to take users’ reviews before installing them on your device.
Is Jailbreaking a Fire TV Stick Illegal? Is It Safe?
As previously mentioned, jailbreaking is a legal process, and nobody can take legal action against you only to jailbreak a Firestick. It is also a safe process and does not put you and your device in any danger. However, if you feel any changes or unexpected things, you can change your Firestick settings back to default. Jailbreaking a Firestick does not void the warranty, so you can freely go ahead if this thought is stopping you.
But one can easily question the legality of a jailbroken Firestick if you use it for illegal purposes. Jailbreaking your Firestick only to use verified apps and streaming legal content is legal. But using it for other illegal purposes is not. Here is how a jailbroken Firestick can be illegal.
- Several people prefer using a jailbroken Firestick to stream free content, and all problems start there. Streaming or downloading copyrighted content is illegal, but people still do it by using their jailbroken Firestick,
- Some people fall into the trap of unverified add-ons and apps because they give you links with copyrighted content even if you do not ask for the same. Clicking these links opens copyrighted content, which is illegal,
- Sideloading and using banned apps from your Firestick is also not legal, but people still do it by using a jailbroken Firestick.
So, what should you do to avoid these situations? Well, a decent VPN saves you from all these problems by masking your IP address. It also unlocks geo-restricted content for you. You can use unverified apps and add-ons more freely after using them with a VPN.
Here is a list of some decent apps you can use after jailbreaking your Firestick.
There was no doubt in my mind before putting Kodi first on this list. Kodi can be a media player to stream content from the internet or local storage. You can also use it as a file manager or explorer to organize your digital files in one place. It also supports third-party add-ons you can use to stream content (videos, podcasts, live shows, etc.) for free.
Add-ons are one of the most useful reasons you can use the Kodi app. They unlock free sports, tv shows, and movies. You might want to use these add-ons with a VPN.
2) Cyberflix TV
It is one of the most popular streaming apps for a jailbroken Fire TV Stick, which curates video streaming links to movies, shows, sports, etc. Several users find their favorite content on this app. As per the reviews, you only need to search for the movie or a show by its name, and you will get several links to the same.
It gives streaming links in HD quality with no or minimal ads. Moreover, you can also enjoy subtitles for more than 250 languages.
You learned all you can regarding jailbreaking a Firestick. You can use these free apps or others you like with a jailbroken Firestick. Using a decent VPN is always a better choice before using these types of add-ons and apps.